Re: DocBook with AbiWord?

At 1:59 PM +0800 1/10/02, Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla wrote:

>That's the point.  Any WYSIWYG processor will by necessity wind up using
>docbook as a formatting language, which is most definitely NOT what
>docbook was designed to be. Maybe a more meaningful conversion for the
>boys developing AbiWord to be making is an AbiWord to XSL-FO conversion,
>or even perhaps an SVG conversion.  Both of those XML dialects were
>meant to encapsulate formatting information.

I do not know what ABIWord does, but I don't think this as
fundamentally impossible as you claim. All that's needed is a
standard word processor interface, except that instead of menu items
like italic we have menu items like  emphasis. The word processor
could use CSS to show what things looked like when various styles
were applied. CSS could even be used to apply custom formatting to
particular elements by referencing their ID. However, when I said I
wanted to make a paragraph red, the editor would add a rule to the
stylesheet instead of making any changes to the document.