RE: Re: "Abbreviated" DocBook (notice about doxygen )

(This is related to "doxygen" and to its possible future
output into DocBook XML.  The message appeared in
docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org, but now it seems to be
more related to doxygen than to DocBook.  Please, join
the doxygen-develop@lists.sourceforge.net if you want to
participate on doxygen development, and to follow this
discussion.)

Hi,

Matt Gruenke asked...
> > Petr Prikryl wrote...
> >
> > [...]  As far as I know, the XML
> > output will probably become a kind of intermediate (internal)
> > form of the generated results.  It is primarily tailored to
> > capture details generated by doxygen.  Then, the set of
> > generators then will produce final output formats.
>
>  Are they planning on using XSLT to transform the XML into
>  the other output formats?  There are plenty of XSLT
>  libraries out there, including one from both the Apache
>  XML project and GNOME.  IMO, it'd be worth taking a very
>  close look at XSLT, for this.  From my own experience at
>  automatically generating DocBook from another fairly rich
>  XML vocabulary, I can say that one needs to actually put
>  a bit of thought into the architecture of the
>  stylesheets. (for those of you who're interested, this
>  might be a good place to start:
>  http://nwalsh.com/docs/articles/dbdesign/ )

Doxygen uses QT toolkit (the free part).  It implements
also some XML support.  I do not know if there is any plan
to use XSLT in doxygen.  Anyway, it seems to be natural to
use XSLT, IMHO.

> > There definitely are people among doxygen users who would
> > like to see DocBook XML as one of the final output form.
> > This is not the case, yet.  It would be nice to attract some
> > of the DocBook experts to doxygen development to accelerate
> > the DocBook XML generator development.
>
> Since I'm currently working with documentation of software
> written in a fairly specialized, low-level language not
> supported by doxygen, I haven't spent much time looking at
> it.  However, since I'm interested in potentially using it
> for future projects, I have some ideas about the usage
> model I'd like to employ and features I'd like to use,
> relating to XML DocBook output.  Is there a forum for
> submitting such requests and suggestions?

As far as I know, there are some plans to separate input
parsers to be able to add other (programming) language
parsers.  So any volunteers will definitely be welcome.
In such case, you should probably contact Dimitri van Heesch,
the author of doxygen.

Try http://www.doxygen.org/ to obtain the general
information. Look also at the upper left corner of the
document for the reference to the mailing lists page
(doxygen-users@lists.sourceforge.net,
doxygen-develop@lists.sourceforge.net,
doxygen-announce@lists.sourceforge.net).

Regards,