Preface page numbers problem revisited.

first, the usual information:

FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
OpenJade 1.3
DocBook XML 4.1.2
nwalsh docbook-dsssl-1.71

$ jadetex -v   <-- Here's what version of jadetex I'm using
TeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.3.1

I am having what appears to be a common problem. I am trying to generate a PDF
version of a book with a preface and I am not getting roman numerals. Worse
yet, the page numbering restarts at one in chapter two, so I am getting three
page 1s in the book (title page, chapter one, chapter two).

I tried the fix this problem using the instructions in this email:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200107/msg00075.html

but I can't get the arabic page numbering to start at 1 in the preface.  Roman
numerals do not appear anywhere in the book.

What should I change it to? Is there a line I can change near the beginning of
the file that will get roman numerals to appear in the front matter?

I've spent all the time I can afford researching and trying to fix this problem
by myself. Can some one give me a hand?

I know little to nothing about TeX. Can anyone point me to an online TeX
reference?

thanks,

--
Sasha Zucker