Re: Again: Apache FOP,Docbook: Features / Versions,"complete" Docbook distribution

On 01/14/02 23:32, "Dave Pawson" <daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> At 23:26 14/01/2002 -0800, Carlos Araya wrote:
>> Do you think it's possible for us to agree on using a certain set of tools
>> then? Is there such a one-step-wonder solution for creating documents with
>> Docbook? Is there a tool that converts docbook to other formats without
>> using xsl or dsssl?
>
> yes (for this market)
> yes (for the newbie market), but not a one step wonder
> no.
Thanks, that's what I thought

>>> Fair comment. It is new.
>
> And I've been corrected already. Try the faq at www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook
> Perhaps Norm could point to it from docbook.org?
The more places we can point people to the better

>> I would at least give it a shot, if we can recommend one toolchain to
>> newbies so that Docbook is not as intimidating to them as it was to me when
>> I started, I would love to write it and help people out that way
>
> Have you read Markus H's stuff. Its always worked for me?
No, what's the URL?

>> I would pick HTML for web delivery and PDF for print. We can generate a lot
>> of the other formats starting from there.
>
> With fop? Or Passivetex?
Fop... Although it's not as feature complete as Passivetex, it's been my
experience that it's easier to install (and this is my experience only,
*puts asbestos underwear on* your milleage may vary)

>>  I also believe that the startup is
>> 90% of the work... Picking up the correct version of every single thing
>> (docbook, stylesheets and toolchain processing tools) is where we loose a
>> lot of people
>
> That's why I liked the idea of 'skipping' a few versions. Say one update
> per year, at Norm's choosing?
I'm all for it... What do other people think?

--
Carlos E. Araya
---+ WebCT Administrator/Trainer

email               carlos@cvc.edu
web                 http://www.cvc1.org/ (work)
                    http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
phone               408 257 0420 (work)
PGP Fingerprint:    E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

Paradoxically, a refusal to 'put a monetary value on life' means that life
is often undervalued.
-- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach