Re: Again: Apache FOP,Docbook: Features / Versions,"complete" Docbook distribution

Dave Pawson writes:

> >  I also believe that the startup is
> >90% of the work... Picking up the correct version of every single thing
> >(docbook, stylesheets and toolchain processing tools) is where we loose a
> >lot of people
>
> That's why I liked the idea of 'skipping' a few versions. Say one
> update per year, at Norm's choosing?

Surely you're kidding?

How are you going to explain to the crowd, "you still have to wait 10
months for these bug fixes to be released so that the 'newbies' don't get
confused about the many versions"?  The reason that there are many
releases (in any project), is that bugs are fixed rapidly and new features
are added frequently.  Also keep in mind that some of the technology
involved (e.g., XSL) is still relatively new and the tools still have to
be completed in the first place.

In general, I think if someone doesn't want to set up the processing
toolchain by himself from scratch he should use a prepackaged deal.  This
is available for many operating systems.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net