RE: Docbook for individual layout senseless ?

Docbook was never intended to specify layout, but the structure of a
document.  FO was developed for layout.  Also, Docbook was not designed to
handle the type of data you want to present.  It was designed specifically
for writing technical documentation, not creating lists of customers.
Probably your best solution is to specify your own XML document for storing
the information you want to print, basically an XML database, then write a
stylesheet to transform any document of that type to FO.  That way, if you
later want to change the display, you don't have to go back into the code,
you just re-write the XSL stylesheet that creates the FO.

Here's a possible example of the XML document you would output:

<customers>
 <customer>
  <name>John Doe</name>
  <description>Description of John Doe</description>
 </customer>
 <customer>
  <name>Elena Jackson</name>
  <description>Description of Elena Jackson</description>
 </customer
 .
 .
 .
</customers>

If you have problems or questions, e-mail me directly, as DocBook will
probably not provide an ideal solution.

Jeff Beal
Ansys, Inc.
(724)514-3150