Re: No callout numbers in the code with programlistingco

Bob Stayton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:32:51AM -0600, Patrick Hartling wrote:
>
>>I am working on a pretty big project to convert a large documentation
>>base over to DocBook, and it's my responsibility to figure out what works
>>and what doesn't when transforming the DocBook 4.1 code into a rendered
>>format.  Thus far, my biggest problem has been with <programlistingco>
>>not showing the callout numbers in line with the code.  The callouts that
>>come after the <programlisting> block work fine, but no matter how I
>>transform the original DocBook, there are never corresponding numbers in
>>the code.
>>
>>I have a feeling that something is wrong with some part of the software I
>>am using, but I do not know what.  In the archives for this list, I found
>>a message where Norman Walsh posted code along with rendered documents
>>where the use of <programlistingco> worked quite well.  (The message is
>>http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200103/msg00337.html.)
>>   When I try to run FOP 0.20.3rc on the included cotest.xml, I get no
>>callout numbers with the code.  The same is true if I run xsltproc to
>>generate FO for XEP or to generate HTML.  In other words, using the same
>>source XML file, I get different results than Norman.
>>
>>The relevant versions of software I am using are as follows:
>>
>>     * libxslt 1.0.12 (compiled against libxml2 2.4.15)
>>     * FOP 0.20.3rc
>>     * docbook-xsl-1.48
>>     * docbook-dsssl-1.74b
>>
>>Is there some step I am forgetting?  Is there a better XSLT tool than
>>xsltproc from libxslt to use?  I've attached the offending use of
>><programlistingco> in case it might provide some other useful
>>information.  Thanks.
>>

> Processing callouts uses extension functions that
> do not exist for xsltproc.  Norm wrote extension functions
> for Saxon and Xalan only at this point.  You should have
> seen a message like "Don't know how to do callouts with
> libxslt" when you ran it.

I'm happy to use Xalan or Saxon if they have better support for what I
need.  libxslt was just our starting point because it happened to be
installed on our machines already.  The way we work, we usually always
want whatever will give us the latest and greatest features.  :)

> Can you generate your .fo file with Xalan and see if
> the callouts are getting in there?  If so, then it
> is a FOP problem on the back end.

I tried Xalan 2.2, and I saw nothing in the .fo file that showed the
callouts with the code.  I am trying to get 2.3.D1 to work, but I am
having some problems with finding DocBook files such as dbnotnx.mod and
many .ent files.  If I copy the files it cannot find into my working
directory, it catches an array out of bounds exception:

(Location of error unknown)XSLT Error
(javax.xml.transform.TransformerException):
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 6 >= 1

I realize that that is probably not very helpful output, but it is all I
have to work with so far.  Are there command line options I need besides
-IN, -XSL, and -OUT?  I've tried running org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process
with JDK 1.3.1 and 1.4.0, and both give me the same (frustrating) results.

  -Patrick

--
Patrick L. Hartling                     | Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@vrac.iastate.edu                | 2624 Howe Hall -- (515)294-4916