Re: typography in dsssl (print)

/ david aumueller <lists@huah.org> was heard to say:
| (1) Just wondered why sub-/superscripts are defined by fractions of
|     font-size since there seem to be "\sub" and "\super" -constructs
|     in RTF as well, which would -- in contrast to the current method

Well, I'm not sure Jade exposes that part of RTF, though I suppose it
could in theory.

|     -- use the fonts' own sub- and superscript-characters. The latter
|     (if available) went through their own development-process under
|     the type-designer's mouse: As true SmallCaps-characters, true sub-

True, but often only a few numbers are provided unless you have a special
font, so in the general case, you'd still have problems. (I expect the proper
superscript 1, 2, 3 followed by a faked superscript 4 would look even worse
than a consistently faked set of numbers.)

| Furthermore, the scaling-factors defined in dbparams.dsl do not result
| in nice sizes to my eyes. I propose the following values:

I don't usually change existing values except to fix bugs since the
change effects so many documents. You can put the values you prefer in a
customization layer, of course.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--