RE: Help project structure

At 06:45 PM 3/19/2002 -0800, Dave Pawson wrote:

>At 13:30 19/03/2002 -0500, mpriestl@ca.ibm.com wrote:
>
>>Dave Pawson:
>> >Which would be easier?
>> >a)To provide a mini DTD for 'glue' which then becomes a topic,
>> >b)Process glue content as a special?
>>
>>Most glue really isn't appropriate for treatment as a topic.
>
>I was moving to ease of processing over 'sticking by the rules' :-)

Toolsmiths, including authors who are toolsmiths, tend to prefer 'ease of
processing;' authors who aren't toolsmiths generally prefer 'rules that
make sense.'

>In which case is it another  rule that topics should be 'standalone',
>i.e. need no glue?

The same topic might need glue in a print context but not in an online
context. Even if a topic is standalone, if you put it in a linearly
oriented book you may have to introduce it or connect it to something. As
always, the medium is the message, or at least the medium has a high impact
on the message.

>Regards DaveP

Nancy (Paisner) Harrison
Rational Software