Re: xhtml and hhp

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 03:33:48PM -0600, David Cramer wrote:
<snip/>
> things work well for monolithic html and chunked html output. For html
> help, however, hhc.exe doesn't like the xml declaration and complains
> about it on each html page it compiles:
>
> HHC3004: Warning: go01.html : The HTML tag "?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="ISO-885
> 9-1"?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric
> character
> ).

<snip/>
> doesn't really say why it's quitting). I'm trying to keep the xml
> declaration from appearing in the output by adding <xsl:output
> method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/> to my customization layer, and
> even just changing the xsl:output elements from xhtml/docbook.xsl and
> xhtml/calc-chunks.xsl in the distribution (those are the only ones I
> found).
>
> What am I missing?

"The attributes on xsl:output elements affect only the main result
document." [http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt11/#multiple-output]
For chunked output dbxsl makes use of one of the following elements,
depending on available xslt-extensions:
<exsl:document>, <saxon:output> or <xalanredirect:write>.
XSLT 1.1 WD suggests the similar <xsl:document>.

IMO, you need to specify omit-xml-declaration="yes" in just those
mentioned elements so they apply to every single written junk. They are
used inside chunker.xsl in the named template write.chunk.

According to
http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5/doc/xsl-elements.html#xsl:document
the use of xsl:output attributes should be possible, e.g. for
<saxon:output>.

Concerning the main result document there should be no need to modify the
xsl:output's in imported stylesheet fragments because they are already
overridden by your customization layer.

HTH,
Steffen.

--