XHTML versus HTML

Greetings all,

I've been reading up on XHTML and playing with Norm various stylesheet
sets, but I'm still a bit confused. Yes, it is entirely possible that
confusion is just my normal psychic state, but I hold out the hope that--at
least in the matter of XHTML--edification remains a possibility. With that
in mind:

I can see that the outputs are quite similar and that switching our output
from HTML to XHTML would have little if any negative impact on the quality,
browsability, or accessibility of our documents.

Are any of you folks XHTML converts? If so, what do you see as the
advantages of XHTML over HTML? Can you use namespaces the way you do in
XML? Does the ability to use the XML DOM have any real meaning for a fairly
vanilla documentation shop using DocBook?

Are any of you folks dead set against XHTML? If so, what are the drawbacks.

Metaphorically, is XHTML the Compact Disc of markup or the eight-track
tape?

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
dgrace@us.ibm.com

This sentence no verb.