Re: Website Info Needed

Dave Pawson wrote:

 > At 07:37 12/04/2002 -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
 >
 >> Hi Dave,
 >>
 >> Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try. I'm really intrigued by
 >> the metadata nature of the system and that  boiler plate, menus
 >> etc can be added and changed easily.
 >

 > I thought so too. Then I found ant :-)
 >
 > One hell of an overlap in what they do, with slightly different
 > objectives.
 >
 > Like Eric, I too had it working once I adapted for win32 usage, and
 > simplified it. Very nifty tool.
 >
 > ~The problem now is figuring out which should be doing what, and what
each is better at.

 > The list of commands in the ant documentation is quite full,
 > so its obviously very capable.
 >
 > Quick swipe at which is best for what
 >
 >    Ant: directing output to where you want it.
 >    stylesheets: configuring the build (chunk/not chunk is ant'ish')
 >    Ant: selecting files to build
 >                 ?? Can I say 'if src date newer than X'
 >    Chances are ant could upload the the web site if I could figure
out how!

 > Any other views on horses and courses?
I use Debian so Xsitecopy works great to update a web site. It has
filters so what you don't want to go doesn't.

 > > each is better at.
 >
 > The list of commands in the ant documentation is quite full, so its
 > obviously very capable.
 >
 > Quick swipe at which is best for what
 >
 > Ant: directing output to where you want it. stylesheets: configuring
 >  the build (chunk/not chunk is ant'ish') Ant: selecting files to
 > build ?? Can I say 'if src date newer than X' Chances are ant could
 >  upload the the web site if I could figure out how!
 >
 > Any other views on horses and courses?

I use Debian so Xsitecopy works great to update a web site. It handles
only out of date files so I'm not sure if all web site generated files
would get updated everytime. It has filters so what you don't want to go
doesn't. It does ftp and also WebDAV if you don't want the old ftp
daemon running on the web server. Of course I suppose that just
sitecopy(command line prog used by xsitecopy) could be used from ant but
I edit/generate into a local mirror of the web site for review and do
the site update by hand.

I use ant with the docbook stuff and would like a way that simple docs
are done the website way and the more complicated are done the normal
docbook way but then website would hopefully reference the docbook
rendered files.

Don't know if this makes sense, my writing anyhow, but I said it. Ant is
nice but it is getting so complicated. It is very good at builds and
moving files around but you can also do ftp and other things as well.

Eric