BOP footers and 2-col PDFs

Hi,

I'm experimenting with 2-column output and DSSSL. It seems that
bottom-of-page footnotes work correctly, but have the side effect that
wherever the text in the first column stops, the second column stops the
same distance down the page, leaving an unnecessary gap. Is it possible to
either have the footnote extend right accross the page, regardless of the
columns, or have footnote-less columns continue right to the bottom of a page?

Regards,

-- Rory
"Yes, but most people don't attack their boxes with the same
  cavalier abandon you do."
                          -- Said when modding my box [fenriz.org]