D'oh!

Answered my own question before I could post.

Whenever I ran jade on my DocBook XML document it would hit the net to retrieve
my DTD.  I couldn't work with it with an unconnected laptop in a cafe, so I
hardwired in the pathname of the DTD as the system identifier.  This broke when
I moved from my Slackware laptop to my Debian server.  Can you see what was
wrong?  Here is my original DOCTYPE declaration:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS/DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
                "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd"; [

Later I had the path where "http..." goes.  This broke when I switched linux
distros.

Here's the correct one:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
                "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd"; [

See the difference?

and to tell that it really was correct, it still worked when I deleted the
system identifier entirely.

I was really confused because I checked out all the catalog files and everything
looked correct, but it wasn't using the PUBLIC identifier to find my DTD.

Yers,

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford