Re: Experiment for Notes on Graphics in HTML

Ed,

Thanks for the interesting experiments.

Just fyi, I use Netscape 4.7x, and all the graphics look
the same size.  (I also have IE6.0, and I did see the
expected results with IE6.0.)

I realize that Netscape 4.x has pretty pitiful support
in this area.  However, if one is trying to generate
HTML that maximizes the number of "real users out there"
that can properly view it, that may argue for pre-scaling.

Maybe there is a way to maximize things in both directions.
Perhaps (if one has the resources to do all this), what should
be done is to pre-scale the graphics so that they will work
on the maximum number of browsers, and then add the kind of
CSS you're suggesting so that end users (with browsers that
support this) can still have the control you want them to have.

I'm not sure exactly how all this translates into "what should
the DocBook stylesheets do", but it does make for an interesting
discussion on how to optimize automated web site generation via XSL.

paul