Re: Onechunk problem

Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> writes:

> [...]
> If you escape a string containing spaces, what does the filename
> look like?
>
> I experienced this xsltproc error with db2man but my refname didn't
> seem to have spaces.  But the XML file looked like this:
>
> <refnamediv><refname>mycommandname
> </refname><refpurpose>...
>
> The carriage return whitespace after the name triggered the
> error.
>
> I think db2man should be fixing this bug, however.
> It should strip leading and trailing whitespace, and
> translate spaces to underscores in the name.
> I seriously doubt anyone using db2man wants filenames
> with spaces or carriage returns, escaped or not.

I think I agree about the leading and trailing whitespace. But what
about other characters that can wind up causing a generated filename
to be invalid (or at least not portable)? An asterisk or slash, for
example. Should the dbman code or any other stylesheet be expected to
deal with translating all those into some other valid character?

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith, Tokyo, Japan    http://sideshowbarker.net
&#x30DE;&#x30A4;&#x30AF;

All historical accounts were altered to hide the COSMIC SECRET of resonation
theory. the Secret Masters don't want anyone to know the COSMIC TRUTH about the
law of electro-natural justice.

                               http://www.logopoeia.com/wisdom/