book level toc at other levels?

Hello - I'm trying to get the HTML stylesheets (chunk) to build a navigation menu that essentially would be the book level (index.html) toc that would also be on chapter pages. In my stylesheet I write:

<xsl:template name="user.header.content">
<xsl:call-template name="divisions.toc">
<xsl:with-param name="toc-context" select="book"/>
</xsl:call-template>

At the index.html level this produces the desired results of a book level toc, but at chpt.html level, nothing appears. I know I'm probably not understanding how autotoc works, but this has been my best try. Any ideas out there?

-mARC