Re: SGML vs XML

openjade will quite happily process XML*

So write in XML then pick the best tool (openjade, xsltproc or whatever)
to get the output you desire given the constraints of your environment.

There are various wrappers (xmlto, db2*) which demonstrate how to create
a cohesive environment. Alternatively you can use a Makefile driven
approach.

*assuming you are using a DTD rather than a schema to describe the XML
document - which you probably will be.