Re: sub/superscript in Apache's FOP 0.20.4 does not work?

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 01:57:29PM +0200, Egon Willighagen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am writing an article in DocBook and using XML->FOP->PDF
> with the stylesheets (1.52.1 and xsltproc) and Apache's FOP 0.20.4 and am
> having problems with super and subscript: they are not superscripted in PDF.
>
> I have this DocBook XML code:
>
>         <para>
>                 In recent years these ideas have been part of the open-source
> 		... <!-- text removed -->
>                 bugs are shallow", as Eric Raymond put it in his widely
>                 recognized essay "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"
> 		<superscript>1</superscript>, in
>                 which he analyses the mechanisms and principles of the open
>                 source movement.
>         </para>
>

> The stylesheets generate this FOP code:
>
> <fo:block space-before.optimum="1em" space-before.minimum="0.8em"
> space-before.maximum="1.2em">
>                 In recent years these ideas have been part of the open-source
> 		... <!-- text removed -->
>                 bugs are shallow&quot;, as Eric Raymond put it in his widely
>                 recognized essay &quot;The Cathedral and the Bazaar&quot;
> <fo:inline baseline-shift="super">1</fo:inline>, in
>                 which he analyses the mechanisms and principles of the open
>                 source movement.
>         </fo:block>
>
> Apache's FOP does not produce a PDF with this "1" superscript.
> Similar problems with subscript...
>
> Is this 'normal' behaviour? Do others get PDFs with proper sub/superscripts?
> What should I do to get things superscripted in PDF?

The 'baseline-shift' property is not on the list of
supported properties in FOP:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/implemented.html

You might try one of the jade toolkits, as PassiveTeX
seems to not work with the latest stylesheets.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com