RE: Page number in ToC

Sorry, I had that problem, too. But I forgot to post the solution.

That's because the referenced ID of chapter|prefarce|appendix|article is
put into the <fo:page-sequence> element, and it seems that FOP only
accepts IDs in <fo:block> for page number generation.

You could change this by wrapping a <fo:block> around a
<xsl:call-template> in fo/component.xsl, that's why it works with
sections.

Search for "chapter.titelpage" and change it according to the following
example.

<xsl:template match="preface">
	<..snip..>
      <fo:block id="{$id}">
	    <xsl:call-template name="preface.titlepage"/>
      </fo:block>
	<..snip..>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="chapter">
	<..snip..>
      <fo:block id="{$id}">
        <xsl:call-template name="chapter.titlepage"/>
      </fo:block>
	<..snip..>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="appendix">
	<..snip..>
      <fo:block id="{$id}">
        <xsl:call-template name="appendix.titlepage"/>
      </fo:block>
	<..snip..>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="article">
   <..snip..>
      <fo:block id="{$id}">
        <xsl:call-template name="article.titlepage"/>
	  </fo:block>
   <..snip..>