Re: sidebar in pop up window

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 04:27:09PM -0400, agon glo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to display the <sidebar> element content in a pop up window.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can accomplish that with DocBook stylesheets.

That's not a a built-in feature, so you would have
to write a customization to do that.
You need to write a replacement XSL template
for <xsl:template match="sidebar"> (the original is
in html/block.xsl in the DocBook XSL distribution, but
it doesn't do much).

The things it would need to do include:

1.  Figure out a unique filename for each popup.

2.  Call the 'write.chunk' template with the correct set of
parameters, including the content.

3.  Generate an anchor of some sort so the user knows there
is a sidebar and can click to reach it. The anchor might
look like this:

An easier but slower way would be to submit a feature
request to the docbook sourceforge site at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/.  No guarantee
that it would be implemented, or when.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com