Re: docbook XML -> texinfo

Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de> writes:

> Does anybody have experience using 'docbook2X-0.7.0' to convert
> DocBook XML documents to Texinfo?
>
> My tests with even the simplest article's or book's are disappointing
> because I get te weirdest errors in at least one of the processing steps.

I've gotten it to work on Debian -- but using 'docbook2texixml', not
'docbook2texi-libxslt'.

I get some "Unexpected node encountered" warnings, but no errors.

But when I try either the docbook-java.xsl or docbook-libxslt.xsl
stylesheets (installed in /usr/local/share/docbook2X/xslt/texi/ by
default), docbook2texi-libxslt fails with error messages like:

  Use of deprecated xmlCatalogGetSystem() call
  book[1]: No description for dir entry
  xmlXPathCompOpEval: function contains-key not found
  Error Unregistered function
  xmlXPathCompiledEval: 1 object left on the stack
  runtime error: file
  /usr/local/share/docbook2X/xslt/texi/sectioning.xsl element copy-of
  unregistered variable content
  xmlXPathCompiledEval: evaluation failed

  Use of deprecated xmlCatalogGetSystem() call
  xmlXPathCompOpEval: function new not found
  Error Unregistered function
  xmlXPathCompiledEval: evaluation failed
  runtime error: file
  /usr/local/share/docbook2X/xslt/texi/texinode-impl-javaext.xsl element
  variable
  Evaluating global variable texinodemap failed
  xmlXPathCompOpEval: function new not found
  Error Unregistered function
  xmlXPathCompiledEval: evaluation failed
  runtime error: file
  /usr/local/share/docbook2X/xslt/texi/texinode-impl-javaext.xsl element
  variable
  Evaluating global variable nodeteximap failed

If I instead use the "plain" docbook.xsl stylesheet in the distro (which
doesn't use the hashtable extensions that the other stylesheets are
looking for), I can end up generating an Texinfo file OK, but it won't
have the right node names.

HTH,

  --Mike