Re: Compiling different sections

Hi Rachel,

Here's what we do.  In the document, use this markup:

<mediaobject>
  <imageobject>
    <imagedata fileref="filename.gif">
  </imageobject>
  <imageobject>
    <imagedata fileref="filename.pdf">
  </imageobject>
</mediaobject>

In your DSSSL customization layer, in the HTML section, put something like this:

;; The preferred mediaobject extension.
(define preferred-mediaobject-extensions
  (list "gif" "png" ...))

and in the Print section, something like this:

;; List of mediaobject filename extensions.
(define preferred-mediaobject-extensions
  (list "pdf" "jpeg" "jpg"  ...))

You can list as many extensions as you want.  You can also use this:

;; The acceptable mediaobject extensions.
(define acceptable-mediaobject-extensions
  (list "gif" "bmp" "g" ...))

in either section in a similar way.  The preferred extensions take precedence over the acceptable ones.

With this setup, your stylesheets should automatically put the .gif (or whatever) image into your HTML and the .pdf (or whatever) image into your PDF output.  The two images are totally independent of each other.

Hope that helps.

Cheerio!

Bob

Robert McIlvride (robert@cogent.ca)