Ignoring image widths in HTML--a solution

A couple weeks back, Camille posed this question:

I am using in my documents the same image format for both PDF and HTML
outputs (PNG). Though I want to specify the width for PDF output but not
for HTML. An option is to define two different imageobject but I find
much easier to change the XSL template for imageobject and ignore the
width.

Can someone tell me the easier way to do so?
<<<<<

I've been working on solutions for the same problem. I, too, found the
two-different-imageobjects solutions less than satisfactory (that whole
dual source issue).

So far, my best solution has been external to DocBook. In GIMP or
PhotoShop, I can alter the resolution to find the optimum pixels/inch
(pixels/mm) for a given size. An image that looks good in the browser at,
say, 640 pixels wide will--at a resolution of 72 pixels/inch (2.8346
pixels/mm)--be too wide (8.9 in[225.8 mm]) for standard page outputs.
Resetting the resolution to 110 pixels/inch (4.33 pixels/mm) reduces the
print version to a printable width of 5.8 in ( 147.8 cm) while retaining
the total pixel width unaffected for HTML output.

Dennis Grace

Information Developer
IBM Linux Technology Center
(512) 838-3937  T/L 678-3937  cell: (512)-296-7830
dgrace@us.ibm.com

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.