Re: [QUESTION] cross linking areas and callouts

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 03:46:38PM +0200, Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
> just a quick note - if i just use the <programlisting/>
> element in conjunction with the <calloutlist/> element
> without embeding boith into a <programlistingco/>
> element, cross linking works.

I presume you also used individual <co> elements instead
of an <areaspec> to place your callout bugs in the
programlisting?  Programlisting doesn't permit an areaspec.

> is not having cross-linked callout bugs in the <programlistingco/>
> element a desired behaviour?
>
> i am using ...
>
>  - docbook-xsl 1.55.0
>  - website 2.3

A quick scan of the Java code for the callout extension
in Saxon makes no mention of 'linkend' or 'href', so
it appears to not be supported.

I would say it is certainly a desirable behavior,
especially since you can do the cross linking with
the <co> and programlisting combination.  In fact,
the links can go in both directions if done right.

But <co> placement requires editing the programlisting,
which doesn't work for code you just want to include.
For that you need an areaspec to insert the callout
bugs from outside the listing.

You could file a feature request on the
DocBook SourceForge site.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com