RE: Customization causing aspurious"Error: no ID for constraint linkend" message

Turns out the error is not so spurious after all--although the document does contain an id, my customization makes it impossible for the rest of the docbook xsls to resolve the xrefs and you end up with ??? in the output. My understanding of this is fuzzy, as usual, but apparently when I do the <xsl:apply-templates select="$before.figure"/>, the key()s in the xref templates only look in the document containing the context node, $before.figure (looking with furrowed brow at p. 502 of Mike Kay's book). Apparently you have to use a for-each to change the context, but I haven't figured out how I would do that yet.

Anyway, this customization turned out to be a little more trouble than it was worth. I think I'll just give the writer a pi to use in specific situations.

David