Re: chapter numbering

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Wlodzimierz Skiba wrote:

> Is chapters supposed to be counted per part ? I mean is this a bug or expected
> behaviour that chapters are rendered with contignous numbering along whole
> book without reset at begining of each part. I use following syntax:
>
> <book>
>   </part>
>   </part>
> </book>
>
> and it is rendered as:
>
>  I. Part
>    1. Chapter
>    2. Chapter
> II. Part
>    3. Chapter
>    4. Chapter
>
> while I would expect
>
>  I. Part
>    1. Chapter
>    2. Chapter
> II. Part
>    1. Chapter
>    2. Chapter
>
> Did I missed something ? Is there a switch for switch this behaviour without
> defining label="" for each chapter ?
>
> I use docbook XSL 1.57.0 with xsltproc.

but, semantically speaking, i *would* expect the first formatting.
a part is defined as just a division in a book, not a complete
resetting of properties like chapter numbers.

it sounds more like you want top-level elements of chapters and,
within that, of sections.  or, taking it one step further, define
a set of books.

rday

p.s.  as an example of what i expect <part> to do, i just pulled
down my copy of "linux administration handbook".  part I is labelled
"basic system administration" and includes 12 chapters.

part II is labelled "networking", and starts at chapter 13, just
what i would expect.