Re: Where should be Preface placed

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 12:37:15PM +0200, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem in understanding where Preface should be placed in a
> book since it does have an effect on the page numbering.
>
> in division.xsl it is coded
>
> <xsl:choose>
>       <xsl:when test="not(preceding::chapter or preceding::preface)
>                       and not(preceding::part)">
>         <!-- if there is a preceding chapter or part, page numbering -->
>         <!-- will already -->
>         <!-- be adjusted, otherwise restart the page numbers -->
>         <xsl:attribute name="initial-page-number">1</xsl:attribute>
>       </xsl:when>
>
> Yet Preface/Forward comes before the Part right after the LOT in all the
> books I have.
>
> http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch02.html#ch02-physdiv states
> "
> Components
> Components are the chapter-like elements of a Book or Part: Preface...."
>
> that is as I understand it Preface is not after the LOT. So the question
> is where is the correct place for Preface ?
>
> Bu adapting the adove  part of the stylesheet I am able to get the
> numbering correted as I want it to be with numbereing retsaring at 1
> with  Part I. Is this the correct approach

This looks like a bug in the stylesheets, not a
problem with your placement of preface.
Preface should not be included in the above test.
The comment for the preface template in fo/component.xsl is:

    <!-- Page numbering for a preface doesn't restart; it
         continues from the ToC -->

So the test should restart numbering if it follows a
preface.  File a bug report on Sourceforge on this.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com