Re: list items HTML formating with XSL

Actually, what the guidelines say is that you should use both the old
'name' and the new 'id' attributes, so we should write

But the stylesheets generate only the id attribute, so it doesn't matter if
they reside in the anchor or in the list element -- N4 gasps anyway. I
tried to open the generated document in N4.71, and none of the internal
links work. Doesn't that happen with yours?

But you caught my flea: the HTML stylesheets generate only the name
attribute. XHTML stylesheets only the id attribute. The name attribute
cannot be put in the li element, and since the XHTML stylesheets are based
on the HTML ones, I can now see why they always generate a separate anchor
element.

I think it will not be possible to keep the HTML and XHTML stylesheets
unified for much long. Soon the former will have to go away, or we will not
be able to add more functionality (for example, intertwined MathML and
SVG).

Marcelo

At 15:29 2003 01 06 -0200, jaccoud@petrobras.com.br wrote:
>I've been overiding several XSL templates in order to get valid XHTML
>Strict output. ... In the process of overiding the
>corresponding templates in lists.xsl and block.xsl, I noted that most of
>the job could be avoided by simply generating the ID attribute inside the
><li> element, instead of generating a empty <a> element. Is there some
>reason you used
>instead of the simpler

You could do that as long as you realize that this does not
follow the HTML browser compatibility guidelines at [1] and
it won't work with Netscape 4.x browsers.

That is, your suggested code matches the specs, but not a lot
of the deployed tools out there.

paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_8