Re: Re: Is it time to rely on CSS?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> The answer seems pretty clearly to be "no".

I disagree.  Even Netscape 4, the worst standards-supporting browser
in use at all today (and obsolete too) supports much of CSS1.

Even if Netscape 4 didn't support CSS1, why should we sacrifice the
convenience of style formatting for 95% of the authors/users because
of the bugginess of the 5% ?  Anyhow, even if the 5% can't see the
style, surely the document would still be legible to them.

I would argue we should move forward with CSS1 in the HTML <style>
element in the header with default styling.  We already have a
parameter for setting an external stylesheet, that doesn't need to
change.

The benefits for easier customization of the look of the HTML output
far outweigh the fact that maybe 5% of users wouldn't see the style
right.  You have to wonder about how many people are considering but
rejecting use of DocBook for their websites and online materials
because they feel it's too difficult to achieve good style with it.