Re: Calling all XSL customization layers...

Ooops. Slip of the fingers, I accidentally identified this as "spam"
when I was approving it. Sorry about that. I'm forwarding it to the
list so that everyone gets to see it.

/ Eric Baudais <baudais@kkpsi.org> was heard to say:
| On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 08:05:26AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
|>
|> It's obvious that changes in the "public API" of the stylesheets cause
|> problems for customization layers. I think it's time to start thinking
|> about how to address that problem.
|>
|> I'm not sure what to do, but I think a good first step would be to
|> find out what part of the API is actually being used publicly.
|>
|> If you're interested in helping, please send me a list of all the
|> named templates that you call from your customization layer(s).
|>
|> At the very least, I think I'll start marking some of them as "public"
|> so that I know I'm breaking things when I change them :-/
|>
|>                                         Be seeing you,
|>                                           norm
|
| Norm-
|
| The GNOME Documentation Project has been talking about this very
| thing!!!  We have made some extensive customizations for the 1.45
| stylesheets and now they do not work with the most recent versions.  I
| believe the problem is because some of the named templates have
| changed their names.
|
| Currently we distribute the 1.45 stylesheets because they are old and
| distributions do not include them.  This stems from a decision we made
| a while back to not always update our customizations with every
| release of your stylesheets.  Rather we would just include the
| specific version we wanted to support.  We felt that updating the
| customizations for every release of your stylesheets would be like
| chasing a moving target which might or might not break the
| customizations.  Lately there has been some talk about seeing if you
| would create a stable API which will guarantee future releases of your
| stylesheets will not break our customizations.  If you are willing to
| do this it would be great!
|
| Below is a list of all the named templates our customizations call.
| It includes the filename and the name of the template.
|
| html/admon.xsl:admon.graphic.width
| html/admon.xsl:admon.graphic
| html/html.xsl:anchor
| html/inline.xsl:inline.boldmonoseq
| common/common.xsl:person.name
| common/l10n.xsl:gentext
| common/l10n.xsl:dingbat
| common/common.xsl:copyright.years
| common/l10n.xsl:gentext.space
| html/inline.xsl:inline.boldseq
| html/inline.xsl:number.rtf.lines
| html/chunk.xsl:href.target
| html/component.xsl:component.title
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.before.recto
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.recto
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.before.verso
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.verso
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:book.titlepage.separator
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.before.recto
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.recto
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.before.verso
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlpage.verso
| html/titlepage.templates.xsl:article.titlepage.separator
> [...]

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | A philosophical contempt of life
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | is no guarantee of courage in the
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | face of death.--Gustave Vapereau