Re: orderedlist and listitem without para: bug orfeature?

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 04:49:51PM -0800, David Bridgeland wrote:

> All,
>
> I have <listitem>s without <para>s inside them. For example:
>
> <para>
> The component suffered from three failings:
> <orderedlist>
> <listitem>It was slow.</listitem>
> <listitem>It ran hot. </listitem>
> <listitem>It did not actually work.</listitem>
> <listitem>It made loud noises.</listitem>
> </orderedlist>
> No, four. The component suffered from four failings.
> </para>
>
> The docbook-xsl translates this to fine HTML. But when this is translated to PDF (by way of FO), I end up losing the content of each list item. It comes out looking like this:
>
> The component suffered from three failings:
>
> 1.
>
> 2.
>
> 3.
>
> 4.
>
> No, four. The component suffered from four failings.
>
> I am not sure whether the FO is good, i.e. whether the problem is with the docbook-xsl or FOP. Or perhaps this is not legal docbook at all? Perhaps listitems must always have paras in them, and docbook-xsl is too forgiving when translating to HTML?
>
> Toolchain: docbook-xsl-1.60.1 ; Libxml2-2.4.30.win32 ; Libxslt-1.0.23.win32 ; fop-0.20-5rc

It's not legal DocBook.  A listitem cannot contain
plain text, it has to be in some text container element
like para.  The stylesheets are designed to work with
valid DocBook files, and all bets are off if the file
isn't valid.  Use xmllint that comes with
Libxml to validate your documents.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com