(ultra newbie) Docbook DTD vs. Docbook-Website DTD

Hello All,

I would like to put some of our HTML-destined documentation into official
DocBook XML format.  I've also seen the DocBook Website pages (for example,
at http://www.docbook.org/) and that looks pretty good for our needs.

However, some confusion:  if I write the documentation so that the Website
XSLT stylesheets can use them, will my XML documents then no longer be
following the DocBook standard?  (i.e., can't be used for straight HTML
processing using Xalan or FOP rendering into PDF using standard DocBook XSLT
stylesheets?)  I'm unsure if DocBook-website works with DocBook documents,
or basically requires its own format.

Thanks,
Glen