Problem with scaling Images

I am including a bunch of PNG's in my DocBook, and converting the
DocBook to PDF, using stylesheets and the Apache FOP.

But I don't understand how the iamges are being scaled. For example, I
have two images, with section names before them. I want the images on
the same page with the sections. The first image, which is 1256x1672,
fits on the page nicely with the section title. But then later on in the
document, a second image which is 824x1160, doesn't fit on the page with
the section title. The titles are one liners and there is no other text.

Now why would the smaller image be page breaking before it, and the
larger image not?

I've tried using contentWidth="4in" and nothing happens, and scale="75"
and nothing happens.

Brian