Sectioning Problem

I changed my stylesheet to page break for level 1 sections (and
chapters), which has worked great. However, now I'm doing my preface,
and the preface has some sections. Since they are top level sections,
they are page breaking before each one, which is not what I want. I
really want to be able to use level 3 sections in my preface without
level 1 or 2, which of course is not possible.

I tried using simplesect, but apparently it still functions as a level 1
section. Is there anyway I can make simplesect function separately from
a level 1 section? So I could have level 1's auto number and page break,
but have simple sects not number, not be included in the TOC and not
page break?

Brian