DTD vs. XML Schema

Could someone give me a list of the advantages and disadvantages of using
the DocBook DTD(s) vs. a DocBook XML Schema?  I'm just starting a
documentation conversion project, using Cocoon (Xalan is XSLT engine).  I've
never used either a DTD or XML Schema, so using either form of XML
technology involves a learning curve.  I'd like to stay with free tools.  I
understand PSGML with emacs is a validating editor, but it doesn't work with
Schemas.  Are there tools available to edit DocBook XML via an XML Schema?

I'll also be searching for stylesheets to convert DocBook XML files to our
output formats (PDF, HTML, RTF), but if I understand the application of the
DocBook standard correctly, the stylesheets shouldn't be affected by whether
I use a DTD or a Schema as my guide.  The main reason I'm choosing between
the two is that I will probably want to customize the document definition
and stylesheets, and I hear the Schema is more flexible and easier to read.

David Olson
Transportation Simulation and Systems Department
ITT Industries, Inc., Systems Division
Colorado Springs, Colorado

If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the
delivery of this message to the addressee, please note that this message may
contain ITT Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone.  You should destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply email.  Information contained in this
message that does not relate to the business of ITT is neither endorsed by
nor attributable to ITT.