[docbook-apps] Re: FO, FOP and PDF

On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 12:46, Dave Pawson wrote:
At 22:36 17/03/2003 -0500, Aaron wrote:
>I'm using the DSSSL stylesheets and the transformation tools from
>docbook-tools, openjade, and so forth.  My impression is that, basically,
>all the Docbook SGML tools (db2html, db2pdf, etc.) will still work with
>XML. In my personal and rather limited experience, FOP is already good for
>HTML but hasn't yet reached a great level of quality for PDF output.

IMHO, fop doesn't address HTML output?
It only addresses fo output.

You're probably correct-- what I meant was the XML-->FO-->HTML tools work and the XML-->FO-->PDF tools aren't quite there yet (but look like they'll be better, and easier to customize, when they do).  My misstatement is a result of my particular use of FO as an intermediate format only;  I have not, and do not plan to, write or ship any documents in FO format. I'm composing in Docbook XML (check out the XSlide package for a neat xsl-mode in emacs; handles indentation and auto-closes tags... a little slow though) and then converting to publication formats as needed.

a.