Re: [docbook-apps] Linking JavaScript Query

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 10:42:20AM -0400, ed nixon wrote:
> David Pratt wrote:
>
> > Hi Bob, I am using xsltproc to generate my output.
> >
> > The build information is as follows from xsltproc -V:
> >
> > Using libxml 20504, libxslt 10027 and libexslt 718
> > xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20504, libxslt 10027 and libexslt
> > 718
> > libxslt 10027 was compiled against libxml 20504
> > libexslt 718 was compiled against libxml 20504
> >
> > This is a snip of the head of the resulting docs
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
> >   <head xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
> >     <title>5.2. Environmental Impacts in Agriculture</title>
> >     <link rel="stylesheet" href="../xhtml-styles.css" type="text/css"/>
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I realize you're addressing the question to Bob. I don't mean to muddy
> the water, but I'll make an observation and ask a couple of questions if
> I might.
>
> Observation: your output, while identifying itself as xml doesn't
> contain a DOCTYPE statement. It would also be useful to know which
> browsers are causing you problems.
>
> The presense of the xml statement and the absence of the DOCTYPE
> statement, separately and in combination, can create problems for some
> browsers that are trying to "do the right thing" with respect to your
> content. In addition, it seems to me unusual to see and xmlns attribute
> in the opening <head> tag. At this point, a decent browser doesn't know
> that your are feeding it HTML and doesn't know where to look for a
> validating DTD; in addition and unfortunately, the xml statement is
> going confuse Internet Explorer in ways that I'm not conversant with in
> detail.
>
> Both of these observations lead me to ask whether you are attempting to
> target a particular (x)HTML version by setting attributes or parameters
> for the stylesheet output?
>
> If these questions don't make any sense to you, I'd suggest you look at
> Bob's documentation, in particular under the HTML processing sections.
> I'm sorry I don't have a link ready to hand.

I agree with Ed that something else is going on here.
I used the same xsltproc version with the xhtml/docbook.xsl
stylesheet, and the top of my xhtml output looks
like this (indentation added for clarity):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
  <head>
    <title>my book</title>
    <script src="../testing/foo.js" language="JavaScript"></script>
  </head>

Note the DOCTYPE declaration, and the namespace declaration
on the <html> element, not the <head> element.  And the
other elements are output in the XHTML-compatible style.

Can you post your customization layer?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com