Re: [docbook-apps] Some problems with rendering db -> PDF

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 02:34:28PM +0200, Marc Baaden wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> thanks for your suggestions.
> I actually found the problem concerning hyphenation.
> It was a nested inclusion of docbook stylesheets
> mixing 1.62 and an older version.
>
> My problem with greek characters remains. It only occurs
> in the titles, in my case it is a book and concerned are
> the chapter titles.
>
> The behaviour of different fonts is different, some work,
> some show plain nothing, others show an empty box.
>
> Examples:
> Palatino - ok
> Helvetica - nothing
> BookAntiqua - empty box
>
> Helvetica is an afm font, the others are truetype fonts (eg
> windows).
>
> Any suggestion how I could work on getting this right ?

This is strange, because I get Greek characters I
enter as &agr; and &zgr; in chapter titles when I use
title.font.family=Helvetica in the 1.62.0 stylesheets.
There are two properties in output of the 1.62.0
stylesheets that should make this work in XEP.

Peek inside your FO output and see if you have this property
on the fo:root element:

  font-selection-strategy="character-by-character"

And search for the page with the chapter title
and see if the block that sets the font-family has:

  font-family="Helvetica,Symbol,ZapfDingbats"

If both of these are ok, then something is going wrong
with XEP switching to the alternate font.  Maybe
xep-support could help with that.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com