Re: [docbook-apps] Controlling titlepage layout with XSL-FO (newbie)

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 09:41:23AM -0700, K Reddy wrote:
> I have been able to customize the titlepage layout to
> include the elements in the order I want. It currently
> looks something like this:

>                    Title
>                   Subtitle
>
>              Abstract
>
>                                 by Author

> Copyright
> Legal notice
>
> The problem is that I would like to keep the copyright
> and legal notice at the very bottom of the page. But
> because some documents don't have abstracts, the space
> is collapsed so that everything goes to the top half
> of the page.
>
> I tried putting everything in a table and setting the
> height, but this didn't work. Neither did setting the
> height of the individual table cells. Currently, I'm
> changing the space-after measurements myself for each
> document, but my boss would like to set up a system to
> automatically rebuild the PDF files whenever the XML
> files are changed. Does anyone have any ideas?

The only way I know of to get something to appear at
the bottom of a page is to use the fo:region-after
area that is normally used for the footer.
Since the titlepage doesn't have a regular footer
(does it?), you could use that area.

You would have to create a new page-master
to establish the area in the location you want.
You can use the display-align property
to align the text to the bottom of that
area.  Then you would need a new XSL template for
your root element to use that page-master instead
of the regular titlepage master, and to put
the content you want in the fo:flow for
that region.  I've never done it, but it should
be possible.  It is entirely outside of the
bounds of the titlepage mechanism built into
the stylesheets, though.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com