[docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] Re: Question about prettyprinting Docbook documents and character entities

Mark Derricutt <mark@talios.com> writes:

> --On Saturday, September 27, 2003 19:57:53 +0900 Michael Smith
> <smith@xml-doc.org> wrote:
>
> >What I mean is, many people work in environments where authors use
> >different editing applications to edit their XML content. Some of those
> >editors (e.g., Emacs/nxml or psgml) preserve the whitespace and line
> >breaks unless told to do otherwise, while others (e.g., Arbortext Epic)
> >cavalierly munge the original whitespace and formatting.
>
> Speaking of nxml - are there any RPMs anywhere that cleanly install into
> Red Hats XEmacs packaged setup - or is the install easy enough as it is?

As Dave pointed out, nxml currently only works with GNU Emacs, not XEmacs
(why, I'm not sure -- you'd need to ask James).

And, on top of that, it's still officially classified as 'alpha'
software, so I'd reckon it might be some time before you see any
packages for it. If it's Red Hat specifically that you're interested in,
you might want to bug Tim Waugh ;)

I imagine nxml will show up in Debian unstable before too-too-long.

For what it's worth, I think James has the long-term intention of seeing
that nxml is included as part of the standard GNU Emacs install. To
facilitate that, he's been paying a lot of attention to things like
making sure his key bindings are consisent with behavior across other
standard GNU Emacs packages.

  --Mike