Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Hebrew Characters in PDFs

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:50:00PM +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
> Norman Walsh wrote:
>  > You need to get a font that contains the Unicode characters and
>  > configure your print tool to use that font.
>
> It would be so great if all FO=>PDF converters would find the available
> fonts by themselves, just like good web browsers do.
>
> Like with CSS I want to specify a list of fonts ordered by stylistic
> preference,  and if a required glyph can't be found in any of those, the
> tool should go look through the other fonts available on the box.

I wish it was that easy for print output.
For HTML output, the browser knows where the available
screen fonts are because the browser is configured into
the display system.  But an FO processor  would not
automatically know where to look for font metric files
that are usable for print output.  Even if it finds
a font file, it needs to know if it can be legally embedded
in PDF output.

On the other hand, once a font is configured into an FO
processor, it would be nice if it would automatically
use it.  That is, when a Unicode character is not found
in any of the fonts specified in the current
font-family property, then the processor could scan through
other configured fonts.

On the third hand, where are all the Unicode fonts that
have all the glyphs, so we don't have to juggle fonts?
Not practical, I suppose.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com