Re: [docbook-apps] [Website] Refining some style issues (CSS?)

Carlos

This is a long (and apparently endless argument) - I am not
going to rehash all of it here - suffice to say that the future
usability of the web is in the hands of the people who build it;
the first generation created sites that may have looked good
but were incredibly poor from a content and reusability point
of view.  Its up to the next to change that.

Others have expressed the argument for CSS "layout" far more
eloquently than I ever could (most written a few years back!).
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/design_rant/
http://webstandards.org/about/mission/
and even:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/dao/

Key point here - the web is *not* about perfectly laid out
web pages anymore and its time to stop perpetuating that
model/myth, wake up and start using it for the new medium
that it is.  I am not whining - I am advocating that change
must start somewhere and here is as good a place as any.

My choices - a well-laid out site that "looks good" to some
outdated browsers (that are *not* standards compliant) but
uses inappropriate or very outdated layout techniques vs.
one that looks good in all modern browsers [ones that are,
to the most part, freely available], is standards-based and
reasonably 'future proof'. Hmm, I know what my choice is
(and I am glad to see that you are moving the same way).

Derek

--> also see:
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2002/wired-interview/
for their business case...

>>> "Carlos Araya" <carlos@cvc.edu> 28/11/2003 11:57:35 >>>
Derek:

WaSP and other standards groups are nice and a good ideal to follow.
Unfortunately, as much as we whine that people should get newer
browsers, that ain't gonna happen anywhere near as fast as it would be
neccessary for us to be able to dump layout tables and move yto full CSS
1 and CSS 2 layouts.

Do you care what browsers can view your page as designed? I do and at
work had to acommodate 4 or 5 different browsers (not to talk about
platforms). Do you care about graceful degradation for those people who
don't have the latest and greatest? Does it matter to you that it
probably takes people longer to learn CSS and strict html 4.01 to work
on the site?

Using CSS is not just a matter of being sold. If you see the
compatibility matrix at the Web Standards Project website or any other
website. You wil find out that few browsers support the entire CSS 1,
not to talk about CSS 2 or 3. Then you have the same problems as before:
even the same browser on different platforms act differently so having
the same browser on Mac and PC doesn't guarantee the site will look the
same.

As much as I would like to (having redone most of my pages using CSS
and CSS positioning) we can't dictate to people whe and how often to
upgrade their browsers.

Carlos