[docbook-apps] xsltproc XInclude questions

These questions are intended primarily for Daniel Veillard,
the developer of xsltproc.  But if anyone else knows the
answers feel free to jump in.

I just built the latest version of xsltproc (1.1.1), and now I get
warnings that I am using a deprecated XInclude namespace
(http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude), and that now I should
be using http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude.  I checked
the latest XInclude spec, the Working Draft from 10 November 2003,
and indeed it says the namespace has been changed.

That leads me to wonder how much of the 10 November
Working Draft has been implemented in the latest version
of XInclude.

For example, is the xpointer attribute supported now?
If so, is there any description of how much of the xpointer
syntax is supported (recognizing that XPointer is still
in working draft stage).

Another question is about entity resolution.  As I read the
XInclude spec, the processor merges the "info set" from the included
resource.  Reading the Info Set recommendation, it seems
that any entities in the included content are resolved
(if possible) before being merged.  For example:

Main document contains:
<DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "docbook.dtd" [
<!ENTITY title "The Main Book">
]>
<book>
The book title is: &title;.
<xi:include href="chapter1.xml"/>

chapter1.xml contains:
<DOCTYPE chapter SYSTEM "docbook.dtd" [
<!ENTITY title "The First Chapter">
]>
<chapter>
The chapter title is: &title;.

When the main document is processed, the result will include:
"The book title is The Main Book"
"The chapter title is The First Chapter".

Is that correct?  And there will be no warning of conflict
over the use of the &title; entity, right?

What happens if a 'title' entity is not declared  in the
DOCTYPE of chapter1.xml?
Then the entity is unresolved.  Is it included as an entity
that is then resolved to "The Main Book", or is it just
blank since it did not resolve?

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net