[docbook-apps] FOP-0.20.5 fails to down-scale oversized SVG in print

From the online FOP docs at:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html

Graphics Packages > SVG > Scaling
"Currently, SVG images are rendered with the dimensions specified in
the SVG file, within the viewport specified in the
fo:external-graphic element. For everything to work properly, the two
should be equal. The SVG standard leaves this issue as an
implementation detail. FOP will probably implement a scaling
mechanism in the future."

SVG with dimensions larger than the viewport area are not scaled.

Short of taking the SVG back into a capable graphics program for down
scaling, is there a DocBook XSL solution? I tried width=, depth=,
contentwidth=, contentdepth=, scale=, scalefit=. I found no imagedata
attributes that had any affect at all on the scaling of this SVG
image (%, n). It is wider than the page width.

Are we all agreed that this does not work, and that it is the
responsibility of the XSL-FO print formatting tool to handle this
down-scaling? Or, am I misunderstanding something?

Steve Whitlatch