[docbook-apps] EPS images in PDF using fop on Windows

I'm trying to get an EPS image to appear in my PDF file using
xsltproc and fop 0.20.5 on a Windows 2000 system. ( I tried searching
the archives, but only found information on EPS and PDF with TeX.)

I have the 1.64.1 version of the fop/docbook.xls file. The
EPS image was created with Adobe Illustrator 5.5 and works
in other applications such as FrameMaker.

I don't see any error messages from fop concerning the
image "testgraphic.eps"; however, this graphic does not appear in the PDF
file.
Do I need some other imagedata attributes for it to work?
Here is my DocBook source:

<mediaobject>
<imageobject role="fo">
<imagedata fileref="testgraphic.eps" format="EPS" />
</imageobject>
<textobject>
<phrase>Test of a Graphic</phrase>
</textobject>
<caption>
<para>
This is a test of a mediaobject tag
</para>
</caption>
</mediaobject>

I tried this with a JPEG imagedata file, and that worked fine.
I distilled the EPS file and then tried imagedata as a PDF file,
but I received these error messages:

[ERROR] Could not load external SVG: Content is not allowed in prolog.
[ERROR] Error while creating area : No ImageReader for this type of image
(file:
testgraphic.pdf)
[INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer

I really need to get EPS or at least PDF vector graphics working.
Am I missing something, or does this not work with fop?

Thanks,
Don Adams