Re: [docbook-apps] no super-,sub-sctipts with fop and PS

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Bob Stayton wrote:

> You are right. I tested the same FO file with FOP's
> PDF and PS output.  The PDF output looks fine, but
> the PS output shows the text reduced in size but not
> shifted up or down. That looks like a FOP problem.
> Did you check the FOP archives?

I did not find it mentioned in the buglist or mail archives.
I posted the problem to the fop-user mailing list, and got this reply:

%<---
From: Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:29:39 +0000
Subject: Re: no sub-, super-script in PS from .fo

A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:

> I noticed that when I generate PostScript output from FO, sub- and
> super-scripts are not rendered correctly but are plainly in-line.  PDF
> output from the same .fo is correctly rendered below or above the
> baseline.
>
> I did not find this problem reported in the buglist or in recent mail
> archives.  Another person confirmed this problem.
>
> What to do?
>
> The Fo snippets are simply like:
> <fo:inline vertical-align="super">+</fo:inline>

Well according to FOP's compliance page, vertical-align isnt even supported.

http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-vertical-align

I will make a note to update the compliance page to say it works for
PDF. I believe baseline-shift also works for PDF.

As for the Postscript renderer, it is not as mature as the PDF Renderer
and so it is no surprise that sub/super scripts arent implemented there.

--->%

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters