Re: Re[2]: [docbook-apps] docbook.xsl/fo different bullet symbols for itemizedlists

I should have been a bit more precise about what I was doing. I was just
showing the results of testing with the current version of the DocBook XSL
stylesheets, so that users who wanted to try out various bullet alternatives
could know what to expect if they don't do any font customization.

The fo:root element in DocBook XSL-FO output includes these two properties:

font-family="serif,Symbol,ZapfDingbats"
font-selection-strategy="character-by-character"

The tests show how the three processors handle those selected bullet
characters given these settings. I think one can draw two conclusions from
the tests:

- FOP does not use the font-selection-strategy property.
- Antenna House's default fonts seem to have more symbol characters.

To be fair, all of these processors are capable of delivering all of those
bullet characters, given the right selection of fonts and customization of
the DocBook stylesheet output. For example, because FOP does not support the
font-selection-strategy property, you have to put the character in an
fo:inline with the correct font-family specified.

But I was looking at the problem from the point of view of the user, who
would just like to be able to specify a special character and have it appear
in their output.  Until Unicode fonts become the norm, these issues of
missing glyphs will continue to complicate the lives of users.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net