Re: [docbook-apps] Nomenclature question from newbie

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 07:26:31PM -0700, RENE HACHE wrote:

> Just want some clarify on who to interpret the following example,
> (which is using XSLTPROC on a Windows machine to generate a HTML
> example):
>
> xsltproc \
> --output myfile.html \
> --stringparam use.extensions 0 \
> docbook-xsl/html/docbook.xsl \
> myfile.xml
>
> Is this meant to be typed as one long line in your command prompt or
> do you press enter after every backslash? I am new with interpreting
> code and not very familiar with the command prompt?

In a Unix shell, you can do either.  Typing one long line is fine,
even if it wraps over onto a new line.  Just keep typing, and press
return when you are done, but don't type the backslashes.  You can
also split your long line, if you like, using the continuation
character '\'.  The shell will print a new prompt to indicate it's
still waiting for more input.

[I can't vouch for Microsoft 'shells'.  I quickly tried it under XP,
but the shell did not seem to understand '\'.  There may be some other
way.]

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net