Re: [docbook-apps] Multiplatform processing from the same source

Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

Hello,

This is not a DocBook-specific question.  I have some DocBook XML
documents in a Subversion repository, and I want to be able to process
them on FreeBSD and WinXP/Cygwin machines.  A problem arises because
the customisation layer needs to know where the DocBook XSL
stylesheets are.  (Under Cygwin, the path is
"c:/cygwin/usr/local/share/xsl..." and under FreeBSD it is
"/usr/local/share/xsl...".  I cannot rely on a path relative to the
customisation file, as it can be checked out of Subversion anywhere.)

My understanding is that the 'href' attribute of 'xsl:import' can't
take a parameter, so I can't pass in something system-specific from
the Makefile (which would have been clumsy but sufficient).  Is there
an XSL solution to this problem?  If not, has anyone solved this with
some pre-processing?

Have you considere using catalogs? We use generic paths (URLs) on all imports, and then let an XML catalog resolve these to the correct actual paths.

If you place the catalog file in the xsl-directory, all the resolved paths to the stylesheets can be made relative.

See Bob Staytons excellent book:

http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

Specifically:

http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html